Thursday, June 22, 2006

Skeet Comics, Inc.

So several years ago, while working in the warehouse of a Service Merchandise store in Ohio, I started doodling a certain cartoon character. He'd show up on notes, or in sacastic little drawings tacked to the breakroom corkboard, or on shipping boxes, pallettes and dry erase boards. He was my first quazi-original character, and being slightly better at drawing than comiing up with names, I called him "Skeet".

Eventually, the character got a bit more artistically refined, and developed a more defined personality, as well as a family and an alter-ego named Weber. I began drawing little comic strips of Skeet, and entertained the idea of seeing "Skeet Comics" syndicated in newspapers across the fruited plain. I did, in fact, submit a package of thirty dailies and a dozen sunday strips to as many syndicates as I could, but lo and behold, the market was evidently not ready for a smart-alecky kid, his morally and intellectually responsible sidekick, and his hapless family. I did, however, recieve the very unusual compliment of a personal critique from the editor of King Features Syndicate (syndicator of "Peanuts", "Garfield", and "Calvin & Hobbes" and a few others nobody else ever heard of) saying Skeet Comics had great potential.

Anyway. Life takes its little turns and now I am a happy and fairly successful digital artist and animator with neither the time nor the inclination to pursue being a syndicated cartoonist anymore. Still, I have all these old comic strips lying around, getting dated and yellow. I still think they are sorta funny. I still like Skeet and Weber. So what the heck? I'll share them with whomever out there is fortunate enough and interested enough to stumble onto them.

Here's a quick sample of some of my favorites. Click on them to read the full-size versions. If you think I should load up some more of them, or (dare I suggest it) draw some more, do drop me a little line.

Skeet, like myself, spends a lot of time thinking of new ways to harrass telemarketers...


This is Weber. He had to be in this one since Skeet would never be seen voluntarily going to the library...


Skeet became a vehicle for me to express some of my own annoyances...


I liked the idea of a comics universe, where all the characters knew they were characters...

1 comment:

TCPohlman said...

I like'm. The Proclamation Point is an excellent idea. Might be an interesting concept on it's own...

Thanks for sharing.

TP